The mission of Germ is to provide young people– high school age and beyond– with relevant, reliable, and factual information on a wide variety of topics: love, life, health, home, the world, school, career, the future, all things safety, the lighter issues and the harder ones. We will never promote bullying, racism, sexism, misogyny, xenophobia, or homophobia, and we reserve the right to block users’ comments or submissions that do not adhere to these guidelines. We will not promote or produce mindlessly graphic or explicit content (violent, sexual, or otherwise), but we will be frank when it comes to healthy and realistic sexuality.
We want to hear from you!
Please write us at email@example.com if you’d like to:
- Say hi/propose a topic/ask a question/tell us how amazing we are/tell us how amazing you are.
- Submit your creative writing. See our Literary Submission Guidelines for all the details.
- Pitch us a piece for one of our regular categories, including the Daily Germ, which can be an inspiring/funny/memorable quote or word of the day.
- Add some of your Bucket List items to our Before I Die page. Please send no more than 5 items to be considered to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Suggest a person/group to be written about in:
- Badass Ladies in History: a woman in history who made great strides in her field or made a difference in the world
- Your Next Favorite Band: a female-fronted band
- Belle Lettres: a lesser-known female writer
- Old Hollywood Spotlight: any star from the Classic Hollywood era
- Suggest a How To…, a Be Lovely, or Truth About… you’d like to see, or links you think we need to know about.
- Have something to Ask Lara? Send questions to be considered for publication to email@example.com.
- Submit your own works (music albums, books) to be considered for review.
Pitch us a piece for one of our reader-contributed columns:
- Write a Dear Me letter to your high school or future self.
- Show us where you’re Wandering.
- For those who Wander, you can record your journey via video, pictures, drawings, words. Show us a place, big or small, in your hometown or from your travels.
- As Finch says in All the Bright Places, “There are no rules because life is made up of too many rules as it is. But there are ‘guidelines’: Be willing to go where the road takes you. This means the grand, the small, the bizarre, the poetic, the beautiful, the ugly, the surprising. Just like life. But absolutely, unconditionally, resolutely nothing ordinary.”
Things to Keep in Mind
Although you can find us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, and the rest of the social stratosphere, please don’t pitch us ideas there. Again, the only place for that is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are pitching ideas, please know that we’ll respond as soon as we’re able. When we’re not writing here, we’re usually writing somewhere, so sometimes it can take a while. But never fear. Unless it bounces back to you, we’ve gotten your email and will be in touch.
What we need from you
- Your name
- Your hometown
- A short (less than 100 words) description of your idea in the body of the email.
- The name of the category/subcategory/column you think your piece belongs in.
- No attachments. Cut and paste your written work (between 500-800 words) into the body of the email, following that short description.
Article length for general submissions
- Love, Life, and Daily Germs can be anywhere from 10 words to 250.
- Every article submission other than those listed above should be between 500-800 words.
We publish regular issues in electronic format. While we value your work very highly, we are unable to offer payment except publication at this time.
We can’t wait to hear from you! ♥