Dear 12-year-old me:
1. Your current friends will change. They will mature, and you will find the right people to surround yourself with.
2. You don’t have to fill every silence. Silence is not always awkward, and sometimes it’s necessary.
3. Don’t wear makeup. Nobody will care if you do or don’t. Let your natural face sit for a little while longer.
4. Appreciate everyone. Your grandparents won’t be here forever. Be patient with them.
5. You don’t know what everyone else is going through. You aren’t the only one with problems. Treat everybody with kindness, no matter what they’ve done.
6. At the same time, don’t let people walk over you. Stick up for yourself every now and then.
7. Don’t spend all your money on clothes. In a few years, you’ll hate everything anyway. Save it for then or for something bigger.
8. Make your choices carefully. Every decision changes your life. Don’t do something that could easily harm your health or well-being.
9. Come out of your room. Don’t hide away and feel sorry for yourself. Be with family.
10. Get off your technology. There is much more to life, so preserve your time without it for as long as you can.
11. Let yourself laugh. Stop worrying; you’re far too young to have troubles right now. Think of all the years ahead and how much harder it will be. Enjoy being young.
12. Keep on top of things. If you start falling behind now, you will never catch up. Get organised and get motivated.
13. Cut your parents some slack. They’re trying. They can’t give you everything. Help them back.
14. Write a diary. Keep everything in there. Don’t throw it away; they are great keepsakes.
15. Let it go. Let go of petty arguments and bitchiness. Don’t hold grudges. You’ll miss out on a lot of fun.
16. Keep your room clean. When it’s clean, you will feel less stressed and happier just knowing there’s a weight lifted off your shoulders.
17. Take care of yourself. Eat well and often, exercise, watch movies, relax. Wash yourself and clean your hair. Have baths.
18. Make your bed everyday. It starts you off with an accomplishment, and your room looks much better, much healthier.
19. Get some hobbies. Find something you love and pursue it. Get really good at it and be proud.
20. Remember: It’s okay to feel down. It’s okay to feel insecure. It’s okay to be upset. But don’t let it define you. Get out of bed and show the world who’s boss. Live a life worth living. Don’t have regrets.